Behold, the smoothie: Done right, smoothies can be a great meal or a snack in a glass, since they’re packed with
Here are my tips on how to enjoy the health benefits of Smoothies without the downfalls:
- Leave your smoothie a little chunkier and chew some of it.
- Swirl the smoothie in your mouth a bit before swallowing so digestion gets a head start before it hits the stomach.
- Don’t use high-sugar fruits or vegetables in your smoothies such as bananas, mangoes or carrots if you are worried about fruit sugars. Use apples or berries instead. (List below.)
- Keep a 4:1 ratio of vegetables to fruit.
- Add ground hemp, flax or chia seeds to up the
fiberand protein content, slowing down sugar absorption.
- I list gluten and dairy free options for those who are sensitive to these and because I try to leave these out myself most days.
My list of ingredients: There could be more added but this is what I like and what I’ve used so far. I try to use low sugar fruits and vegetables and always have a leafy green vegetable in there. Some days when I want something sweeter there might be more fruit vs veg.
- coconut water (unsweetened)
- almond milk (unsweetened, read the ingredients)
- oats (soaked overnight)
- hemp seeds
- chia seeds
- chlorella powder
- sesame seeds
You can freeze the berries overnight if you want a cold smoothie. Great when the weather is warm!!! Though you do need a powerful blender to chop through them.
Here’s the recipe I started with, this one is delish! I should mention that I am quite willing to slurp down something that tastes disgusting if it’s healthy. No smoothie experiments will go to waste in my home.
handfulof blueberries and/or raspberries handfulof spinach
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 stick of celery
- about half a small cucumber
- one green apple
- tablespoon of ground hemp seeds
- tablespoon chia or flax seeds
- almond milk/coconut water
- Juice of a lemon/lime
- few fresh mint leaves (if they’re looking good in our garden
I blend the seeds first so they’re super smooth, then add the rest and blend until creamy.
I hope you’ll enjoy this recipe. Check out my Pinterest Board with all of my other recipes here.