If you are cut from the “I hate fish!!” cloth and are thinking, “There is no way I will ever, ever, ever in my life like fish.” I can sympathise. I used to hate fish! I ignored huge sections of menus for years, but no longer. I have been looking for extraordinary fish recipes which are full of flavour and found some delicious ways to cook fish! Oily fish is a great way to get some essential Omega 3 fatty acids into your diet, our bodies cannot make Omega 3’s. Therefore we must consume them from our food or supplements. If you have never cooked fish before, please do take the plunge, or make sure to take a supplement.
Pistachio Crusted Salmon is a light and healthy meal option you can have on the table in under 30 min, you will be amazed at how delicious this is. Fresh buttery, rich tasting salmon is topped with a sweet and spicy honey mustard sauce and finished off with a crunchy topping of chopped pistachios. Loaded with Omega-3 from the salmon and pistachio, fiber from the pistachio and herbs, B6, Calcium, Potassium from the honey and this dish is jammed with antioxidants. Only a few healthy ingredients and so easy to make, this just may become your new “go-to” quick dinner recipe.
- 2 wild salmon
darnes, skin on and pin bones removed
- Freshly ground Himalayan/sea salt and black pepper
- 1 Tsp Dijon mustard (I used the whole grain variety)
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 Tsp honey
- 1 Tsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp chives, fresh & finely chopped
- 1 Tsp parsley, fresh and finely chopped
- ¼ cup pistachios, shelled
- Preheat oven to 190ºC. Line a baking tray with tin foil or baking paper.
- Rinse salmon and pat dry with paper towel. Arrange salmon skin side down on the baking tray. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
- In a small bowl, combine lemon juice, mustard and honey. Spoon mixture and spread evenly over top of each salmon fillet.
- Coarsely chop pistachios and combine with chives, parsley and olive oil. Spread pistachio mixture on top of salmon, pressing lightly to adhere.
- Bake until salmon is cooked through to your liking and pistachios are golden, approx. 15-20 min. Let salmon rest 5 min.(outside of oven) before serving (Salmon will continue to cook during this time so keep this in mind when removing salmon from
- I served mine with steamed broccoli and grilled cherry tomatoes.
When shopping for fish, choose wild over
To choose the freshest fish possible, look for rich red gills, shiny even-colored skin, and bright, clear eyes. Plan on cooking the fish the day of purchase if possible. If not, fish will stay fresh in the fridge, for a day or two. I usually buy my fish in Johnny Morgan Fish Mongers at the Market Square, Dundalk or Morgan’s Fish Van on Park Street. The van is there Thursday and Friday from 7am to 3pm.